[Gllug] Evolution and mutt

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Feb 8 15:35:54 UTC 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 03:30:33PM +0000, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> Simon Stewart(sms at lateral.net)@Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 03:14:40PM +0000:
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 02:04:02PM +0000, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > > Simon Stewart(sms at lateral.net)@Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:44:44PM +0000:
> >
> > <snip "how would I get evolution and mutt to live together? Espcially
> > with the seperate mboxes I have for my mailing lists?">
> >
> > > yep.
> > > i have procmail directing mail into Maildir folders, that i can use via
> > > IMAP over ssh for evolutions pleasure.
> >
> > IMAP seems like overkill for this sort of situation --- I'm only going
> > to be using these things on the local machine. Sounds like it might
> > well be the easiest way to do things, though.
>
> ah sorry, mis understanding.  i thought you were accessing it remotely.
> still, it's an option, at least the 'middleware' presents the data in a
> uniform fashion.  you should'nt ever have to worry about either client
> changing it's local storage mechanism.

Which is why I'm really tempted to use it, even if it's not the
solution that I would leap to straight away. Also tempted to copy my
mails into two locations, one for mutt and one for evolution, since
evo has some nice filtering available to it.

> > My gut instinct is to look for a lighter weight solution.... The
> > symlink for the inbox seems to work reasonably well, but I create some
> > mboxes using the date command[1] (that is, I can't know in advance
> > which folders are going to be there....)
> >
> > > works a treat, apart from evolution not having lots of funky features
> > > that i now depend upon in mutt.
> >
> > I like mutt an awful lot, but evo offers some nice features. Still
> > waiting for an equivalent from the KDE. All it would take is to use
> > DCOP to provide a shell from which korganizer, kmail, etc could be
> > run, but I get a feeling it would still lack the level of
> > integration....
>
> mmm, that would be cool.

Yet another thing to add to my list of Really Neat Stuff I'd Like To
Write, just under my ndfs[1] and Dot Com Office Jukebox :) You start
hacking and I'll contribute what I can?

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Net Device File System, which plugs into procfs and provides an
easy way of looking at and setting the physical capabilities of your
network devices (connection speed, media, link status, etc) Had a
small amount of code written and proved the concept, but now have a
far better way of doing it all.

--
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
		-- D.E. Knuth

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk