[Gllug] [OT] Perl DBI question

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Feb 18 15:11:27 UTC 2002

Totally off topic, I'm sorry, but a question for the Perl gurus out
there.

I am installing LANdb, which is a nice system for databasing the
components and configurations of a network. I think it looks cool.

http://landb.sourceforge.net/

LANdb uses the Perl DBI stuff to access the database - which is either
Oracle, or in my case MySQL - I am a bit of a fan of MySQL.

Anyway, the CGIs are not working, as they are using
 DBI->install_driver  directly.

As far as I can see, the normal way to do things is to use
DBI->connect and never to touch install_driver.
I am going through the code to replace the couple f instances where
install_driver is called.

To set the stage, the LANdb site has DBI-1.13 available for download,
which I have installed.
This seems to be well out of date - CPAN has 1.21.
Should I upgrade - and if so are there any big gotchas, or changes?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk