[Gllug] mutt & gpg revisited

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 20:01:49 UTC 2002

* Paul Brazier (pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk) wrote:
> > When mail is sent it goes:
> >
> > 	Sender MUA -> local MTA -> remote MTA -> remote MDA ->
> > receiver MUA
> >
> > So procmail generally only gets applied to incoming email.
>
> So in theory procmail could be used to process outgoing mail?
> I guess all procmail does is take in text, process it according to a
> complex set of rules that you define in your .procmailrc and then output
> slightly different text.
>
> So either your MUA could be configured to send mail to the MTA via
> procmail or your MTA could be configured to pass the mail through
> procmail before it sends it on to the remote MTA?
>
> Are there any valid uses for using procmail on outgoing mail?

Some. Not many. Examples include spam checking _outgoing_ mail, virus
checking outgoing mail, and preventing you users from sending certain
kinds of attachments.

However it's not common, and rarely useful (a good MTA will have plugins
for this kind of job), which is why I hilighted it earlier.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk