[Gllug] IPSec

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue Feb 12 10:46:25 UTC 2002

>I've setup a link from my home firewall to my uni's
>internal network using VTUN. Its very easy to use
>and has compression and encryption. Its uses TCP or
>UDP (usfull for getting around my uni's firewall).

When using TCP does it suffer from the same TCP over TCP problems as PPP
over SSH?
(See: http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html)

>It works by having a 'server' which will listen on
>a socket (your cable modem box) and the roaming using
>(modem) can just connect.  Cable IP's seem to stay
>static for a long time anyway.

I'm assuming the modem has the same IP for ages too but I haven't checked
with him (I don't think he's checked either), anyone on the list know about
NTL?

JD

>PS. sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick.
>

>On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:59:06AM +0000, Huw Lynes wrote:
>> On Tuesday 12 February 2002 08:48, Jonathan Dye wrote:
>> > Morning,
>> >
>> > I've looked throught the IPSec docs at freeswan and there are several
>> > parts but none of them talk about connects with both ends having
>> > dynamic IP's. All their examples have at least one end with a static
>> > IP.
>> >
>> >From playing with FreeS/Wan it looks like it is possible. But probably
>> a real sod to set up. The documentation is pretty good though. You
>> should probably do a quick search on their Mailing list archive for
>> something along the lines of "connecting two road warriors". I have to
>> mention that here at MPC we have wimped out and gone for hardware VPN.
>>
>> Huw
>>
>> --
>> | Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
>> | System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |
>>

>> --

>This message has been checked for all known viruses by the TAP
>MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service.  For more information speak to the IT
Helpdesk.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk