[Gllug] MTA

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Feb 1 14:07:33 UTC 2002

On 2/1/02, 1:58:20 PM, "Jackson, Harry" <HJackson at colt-telecom.com> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] MTA:

> I will have a look at UW-IMAP. I do not need anything complicated.

UW-IMAP is very simple.  You create an account on the box, you use that
account's password to access the mail.  If you use your mail client to
create imap folders then they are created in the user's home directory.

> > Exim is a good mta.  I'm coming to prefer it over Postfix,
> > being closer
> > to the metal and more configurable though it lacks Postfix's nice
> > queueing algorithm.  You should be able to configure it for
> > home use with  minimal effort.

> If it does delivery only then I will have to give it a miss and try
> something else.

Mail delivery and mail storage are entirely separate tasks.  UW-IMAP only
does storage and Exim, Postfix, Sendmail etc only do delivery.  Many
commercial packages do both these tasks but that's only because they want
to sell it all as one thing.

Why do you think you need something that stores and sends?  It's quite
possible to have mailstores and mail delivery running on separate boxes.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk