[Gllug] Modem Commands

Iain Conochie iain at thargoid.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 23:56:57 UTC 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Rob Andrews wrote:

> This is a pain, since before ADSL I wanted to do this too. chat is expecting
> "CONNECT", once it gets it, and chat reaches the end of the script, that's
> it. Gone.
>
> You've got two options. First, you could get the chat to do the login for
> you - most ISPs still support this, but a few don't, so if it doesn't do it
> for you, don't be suprised. Try bashing at it with minicom or cu beforehand,
> and see what happens. If it does work, chat will log the whole login
> session. ISPs I know of that allow such logins include Demon, Freeserve,
> Force9/PlusNet, Inweb, and most likely a whole bundle of others. ISPs that
> don't most likely include MSN, but that's to be expected. They could be
> doing anything, we just don't know.

I have been using chat for the past two years so it seems to be working ;)

I had a look at the ppp-go script that Slackware uses and _ages_ ago I
modified it so that non-root user could dial up, but apart from that I
have just left it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

> Secondly you could get chat to multi-expect more than one thing. Like
> "CONNECT <speed>", but since modems don't always negotiate at the same rate,
> this may end up spitting out any speed. You have to predict all of them. And
> trust me, there are lots. This isn't a pleasant method.

In other words I have to know the connect speed before I connect. NOt
really the purpose of the exercise(sp???)

> Or you could not use chat. This is the third "hidden" option I don't usually
> suggest, but try either expect or perl with Expect.pm, then get it to issue
> a syslog output with something like "connected at $speed". This seems the
> tidiest method. And both expect and perl's Expect.pm are a doddle to learn.

Ah..... - chat basically talks to the modem yeah?? TBH I am getting lazy
and can't really be bothered to muck around too much with this. But I do
remeber a while ago I was getting connection speed logged through syslog
and I was wondering if I was being dumb or something....

> Give it a shot. Remember, chat is very basic on purpose. It doesn't need to
> be otherwise, really :)

As all good unix utils are really :)

Thnx man

Monkey

Linux phoenix 2.4.9
 11:50pm  up 3 days,  8:58,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk