[Gllug] Monitors - 15" LCD vs. 19" CRT

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Mon Feb 4 09:46:32 UTC 2002

>A 17" LCD next to a 19" CRT looks almost the same size, with a
>fraction of the space.

Yep, and a fraction of the image quality, too. I have exactly this
setup at work (actually, I have a 19"" CRT and an 18" LCD), and the
LCD is relegated to acting as a Big Brother monitoring console. For
real work, I use the CRT. I don't understand all these people that
claim CRTs fry their eyes. I can only conclude that they've been using
crappy monitors. A decent high end CRT will in my experience give you
far better results than any LCD I've yet met.

I have no doubt that in future, flat screens will reach an acceptable
level of quality. But until they can do decent resolutions at a decent
refresh rate, until they can give me crisp pixels without the annoying
grid lines that they have today, until they can match the gamut of a
CRT, until they can handle fast moving images without motion blur,
until they come down to a sensible price, until I can look at them
without getting a headache... until all of those happen, I'll be
sticking with my high end flat tube CRT.

One other thought. The monitor is the single item of computer equipment
you interact with the most. It's not worth trying to save money on it.
Save up, and buy the absolutely best you can possibly afford. You won't
regret it. And if you're looking at a CRT, make sure you get one with
sufficient bandwidth. You'll have to pay extra for it, but it's well
worth it. Most cheap monitors today tend to have great looking specs,
until you realise that the refresh rates they quote are for 640x480,
and they don't have the bandwidth to sustain them at usable resolutions.

FWIW, my 19" monitor (an Eizo FlexScan T761) cost over 600 quid. That's
over 3 times as much as a low end 19" monitor, and it's worth *every*
penny. You get what you pay for...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk