[Gllug] Suse 7.2, X-4.2.0 and Matrox G550

Ian Baillie ibaillie at aladdinsystems.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 09:33:42 UTC 2002

Hi All,

I have just installed Suse 7.2 on a machine which has an MG550 dual head
card.  After installing Suse, I followed the instructions on the Suse website
to install X-4.2.0
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/X/XFree86/XFree86-4.2.0-SuSE/README,
as it said I required this to use the MG550.

I downloaded all the rpms and typed the following:

# rpm --nodeps --force -Uhv *.rpm
# ldconfig

For some reason the second line didn't work for me (command not found).
Evenso, I then ran SaX2, and it found the card with both heads.  I have the
first head plugged into my monitor, and the second into the television.  I
can't appear to get the second head to display anything, although the first
head works fine.  If I quit from X however, then nothing is displayed on
either the monitor or the TV, but the machine is working fine, because if I
type in commands blindly, e.g. shutdown -r now, it works.

Can anyone help, or point me in the right direction please?

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk