[Gllug] Procmail

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Tue Feb 26 09:42:32 UTC 2002

Most of my friends send me mail from hotmail or yahoo accounts and that is
not going to change in the near future. I like hotmail there though because
I use it as my Spam address. When I fill in forms I give them my hotmail
address which means that any Spam goes to them. I have to admit though that
not a lot gets through compared with yahoo who seems to let everything in.

> I have tried to keep it well commented precisely because I
> was trying to
> make something that would be simple to use for people that find the
> procmail syntax a bit terse. I started it because I didn't like
> spamassassin (I couldn't make it work (the way I wanted anyway ;)).

I have had a look at it and it is quite thorough. I need to read more on
procmail to get the commands down pat before I will start to get the gist of
all the stuff you have done but there are definitely a few things in there
that I could use now.

> I was thinking of releasing it on my webpage or something, but I am
> still hiding behind the "needs more testing" poster. I guess I'm just
> afraid someone will point out some serious flaw in my recipes :)

Until you get it up you will never see if it is industrial strength or not.
If it was out in the wild and people where using it then it will get a good
going over and any little niggles will  get ironed out. Stick it on a web
page and see what happens. I can understand most of what is on there but you
can never have to many comments in my case. I do like the idea of a
blacklist though. Its like a mini ORBZ list on your own PC. I suppose the
advantage with ORBZ is that it does not soak up your bandwidth if it is Spam
but gets ditched which is a good thing if your bandwidth is restricted or
you have lots of email.

Is ORBZ used commercially and how does it affect performance? Is there any
where I can get a list of well known Spam address's as I tried to find some
last night and did not get much joy. All the ORBZ lists etc seemed to be a
closely guarded secret either that or I was looking in the wrong place.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk