[Gllug] Backup recommendations

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Feb 12 13:12:53 UTC 2002

My machine room at home had a power failure the other day. Fortunately,
pretty much everything came back up without too many problems thanks
to the wonders of ext3. A couple of ATX power supplies came back up in
suspend mode when power was restored, but the rest were fine.

But it made me think that I really ought to get around to putting a
decent backup solution in place. At the moment, I'm backing up to
CD and DVD-RAM, but neither are really suitable. They're not large
enough to do a backup without a media change, which means that I
get too lazy to do them as frequently as I should, and if the power
failure had caused any serious damange, then my latest backup would
still have left me without a lot of my more recent stuff.

So, I'm looking for a tape backup that will let me do everything in
one hit, in the hopes that I'll be more motivated to do them regularly,
and I'm therefore looking for recommendations. As previously mentioned,
I'm a SCSI bigot, so obviously that's what I'm looking for. I had a
quick look in Gultronic$ on TCR, but balked at them asking 725 quid for
a 12GB DDS-3 drive. Can anyone suggest something else that might do, at
a more reasonable price? If pushed, I could probably get away with 8GB
for now, but ideally I'd like more to allow for future expansion.

Thanks,

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk