[Gllug] Backup recommendations

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 14:07:39 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, 12 Feb 2002, tet at accucard.com wrote:
>So, I'm looking for a tape backup that will let me do everything in
>one hit, in the hopes that I'll be more motivated to do them regularly,
>and I'm therefore looking for recommendations. As previously mentioned,
>I'm a SCSI bigot, so obviously that's what I'm looking for. I had a
>quick look in Gultronic$ on TCR, but balked at them asking 725 quid for
>a 12GB DDS-3 drive. Can anyone suggest something else that might do, at
>a more reasonable price? If pushed, I could probably get away with 8GB
>for now, but ideally I'd like more to allow for future expansion.

That seems excessive. In any case DAT drives are helical scan, which
leads to mechanical problems; DLT is what I would recommend if
possible. There have been a lot of cheap DLT drives on Ebay lately,
and new low-end DLT drives are larger than a DDS-3 DAT if no cheaper.

Failing that, OnStream's ADR drives start at 15GB (all capacities are
the uncompressed truth not the lies of tape drive manufacturers), are
extremely cheap for the drive (the tapes are quite pricey, but a home
backup solution needs relatively few), are linear not helican-scan,
can be bought as SCSI, are supported by Linux (with a special (but
free) driver), and have quite slow transfer rates compared with
DLT. GND sell them (amongst others); it's not ideal, but if you want a
complete backup solution of decent capacity for under L500 it's your
only option IMAO.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk