[Gllug] I APOLOGISE

Sean Burlington gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Sat Feb 9 13:40:19 UTC 2002

On Saturday 09 February 2002 12:53 pm, you wrote:
> * Sean Burlington (gllug at uncertainty.org.uk) wrote:
> > I am not suggesting that recruiters be made a part of this list - I am
> > just saying that I don't want any recruiter coming here to leave thinking
> > "these linux geeks may be clever, but I don't want to work with them".
>
> He didn't "come here". Read his mails again. He was trawling the web

I hadn't misread his mail - but I'd say that if he read some list postings,
mailed the list (accidentally) and posted an follow up apology - he 'came
here' (maybe we have different definitions of this virtual place ;)

> "proactively" for email addresses of geeks. He came across an email in
> an archive, thought "ooh he looks like he wants to give me his details

nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
his mail may not have made much sense - but it was short polite and easy to
delete.

It just doesn't compare with the pushy (phone) cold-callers who are more
deserving of our scorn.

> for my records", and then proceeded to send an incoherent unsolicited
> mail to the _wrong_ address. That doesn't mean he "joined" gllug, any

no wonder he sent the mail here !

the archive shows subject, name ,email address
but that address is gllug at linux.co.uk

I know keeping our email adresses off the archive is done to protect us all
from spam - but maybe the layout could be altered to make it clear that the
address given does not belong to the message sender.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk