[Gllug] Tape backup

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 15:27:12 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:21:39PM +0000, Andrew Och wrote:
> > If money is an object (and usually always is) then a DDS3 or DDS4 DAT
> > drive if a good way to go. DLT is an more expensive alternative that I
> > have not tried and it does not give you access to old backups made on
> > DAT tapes. I've had a few mechanical faults with one of the HP DAT drives
> > with an autoloading tape changer, so I can not really recomend them.
>
> How right you are about cost. I was looking at DLT drives and they are
> more expensive then I had reckoned on.
>
> What do you think of a HP SureStore DAT 40 (internal) drive. What SCSI
> adapter did you use with your HP DAT drives? Finally what stress did you
> have finding Linux drivers for HP DAT drives?

I have had one of these for several years (DDS2), with a BusLogic (now Mylex
I think) SCSI card. Works well. Just insmod BusLogic.o and away you go.

The only thing to beware is that you need to set a decent blocksize to write/read.
If you leave the standard CPIO one (1/2 K I think), it takes forever.
10K works well.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>