[Gllug] Tape backup

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 20:02:08 UTC 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:21:39PM +0000, Andrew Och wrote:
> > If money is an object (and usually always is) then a DDS3 or DDS4 DAT
> > drive if a good way to go. DLT is an more expensive alternative that I
> > have not tried and it does not give you access to old backups made on
> > DAT tapes. I've had a few mechanical faults with one of the HP DAT drives
> > with an autoloading tape changer, so I can not really recomend them.
>
> How right you are about cost. I was looking at DLT drives and they are
> more expensive then I had reckoned on.
>
> What do you think of a HP SureStore DAT 40 (internal) drive. What SCSI
> adapter did you use with your HP DAT drives? Finally what stress did you
> have finding Linux drivers for HP DAT drives?
>
> Best regards
> Andrew Och

You don't need drivers for a standard SCSI DAT drive, they are supported
as SCSI devices using the /dev/st0 device.

Just run something like:
	tar -xvf /dev/st0 /home
and Bob will become your uncle.

The mt command has utilities such as rewind and erase, and "man st"
will give you all the gory details on the st device driver.

I've not used the HP SureStore DDS4 drive, but early DDS2 versions
have been OK.

I'm currently using Adaptec 2940AU and 2940UW for the machines which
have other SCSI devices, and the Adaptec 2904 for machines which only
have one or two external SCSI1 devices. The 2904 has a max of 5Mbit/s
which is still faster than most tape drives.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk