[Gllug] tar.gz

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Fri Feb 1 15:13:56 UTC 2002

I tried to run the following as root. If this worked it would be more than
sufficient for what I want. There is not an awful lot of stuff on the Debian
box but its the closest thing I have ever had to a decent set-up so I want
to keep it. No doubt someone will find a flaw in the following.

$tar czvf /backup.tar.gz /

> Anyway all I usually back up /home, /etc, /usr/local, /var/mail (if
> applicable) and I dump the output of dpkg --get-selections. You could
> then restore all of /usr and every app you had before the backup by
> taking that dump and catting it to dpkg --set-selections and running
> apt-get dselect-upgrade.

If the whole drive was backed up should I need to worry about the packages
if things went Pete tong?

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk