[Gllug] netstat -pan --inet

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Mon Feb 11 12:29:07 UTC 2002

My IP is dynamic. If it was static I would not be posting it. I would be
surprised if anyone could crack my box considering what I have done to it
and having a dynamic IP. If they where to crack it it would be a random hit
or would have to be seriously planned. I am not even sure if my mail from my
box declares my box's ip as the source or the one from my ISP I think its
the latter. At the moment I have no services listening to Internet addresses
and my iptables set to allow a connection only if I started it and
everything else gets dropped I also drop all obviously spoofed IPs coming in
on my internet interface. I think I would be reasonably safe from most of
the script kiddies out there but there will always be one that gets through.

I am still updating my iptables to sort out any DOS attacks but this is me
just being paranoid as all I have to do is restart my connection and I get a
new IP. Most of the stuff I have done is overkill but its interesting.

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk