[Gllug] netstat -pan --inet

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Feb 11 12:08:17 UTC 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 11:47:46AM +0000, will wrote:
> Try setting up an iptables/chains rule to reject rather than drop port
> 113 TCP.  This is IDENT/Auth.  Some applications attempt to connect to
> you using it and they seem to hang around for ages waiting for a
> response when they won't get one.  Rejecting it will speed some things
> up a bit, I assume by letting the application know it is not going to
> get a response and it can get on with what it was doing.
>
> Someone correct me if I am wrong.

No, you're quite right.  If you reject a connection that's it.  If you
deny (drop under iptables) a connection then the other end usually keeps
at it until they timeout, which can mean that someone portscanning you
chews up the connection for a while.

Deny/drop is for when you want to be completely invisible.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?