[Gllug] Backing up cron

Harry postituk at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 23:36:16 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dean S Wilson" <dean.wilson3 at virgin.net>

> No not backing up using cron as google seems to think...
>
> I'm interested in hearing what other people on list do to backup and
> maintain crontabs on Unix boxes (In my case its Linux, Solaris and
> HPUX.) The ones in work are getting quite large and spread over
> numerous machines so I've got this insane scheme where I either use
> ssh and a separate user account with sudo to get a copy of all the
> crontabs or the sudoed user and gnupg to send an encrypted email of
> them (I like to send the fewest possible bits in plain text) to an
> admin account and get them on to a separate box.
>
> Once I've got them there I can diff them and if any changes are
> detected leave a mail for the admin (me :)) and check them in to cvs.
> The other possibility is I do a 'push' rather than a 'pull' and use
> something like cfengine to dispatch them.

If you use pull you get the administration on one box. If you push you will
have to run something on both boxes I think. The problem with this is that
that user will have access to an awful lot of machines which is not wise if
you are being paranoid.

You could burn them to a read only disk but this would be a pain in the ass
making sure the disk was in every night. Are you trying to run your crontabs
from a seperate machine or check them.

Is there any way that they can be encrypted on the disk and s/ftp'd when
polled from another box.

I would be intereested in hearing what people do to get around this sort of
problem as well.

Harry

---

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk