[Gllug] Apache ~users

Andy McGarty andy at mcGarty.net
Mon Feb 4 02:52:56 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to enable ~username access to a Redhat 7.2 server running apache 1.3.12

I've been reading the Charles Aulds book (Apache web server admin) and the various on-line docs and I keep hitting a brick wall.

I've left the httpd.conf file set as the default

UserDir public_html

And used the following from my Mandrake based system that does work (and uncommented the example in the conf file)

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride All
    Options MultiViews Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

but whenever I try and access http://site/~user/

I get:
You don't have permission to access /~user on this server.

I've set up /home/user/public_html with an index.html in it (even if I specify ~user/index.html I get the same error).

There doesn't appear to be any mentions in the logs that it fails (I've tried setting log level to Debug).

Valid pages in /var/www/html get served and if I use ~invalidname it gives a standard page not found error (and this is in the log).

Any one an Idea what I've forgotten to configure (and how I can get the failure in the log)?

Cheers

Andy