[Gllug] Comm

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 21:40:53 UTC 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Steve Cobrin muttered drunkenly:
> They were sorted in numeric order.

That's not good enough. POSIX.1 says

,----
| If the lines in both files are not ordered according to the collating
| sequence of the current locale, the results are unspecified.
`----

and the GNU textutils manual says that it doesn't work.

(I've fallen into exactly this trap myself and made an idiot of myself
in front of the comm developers with it.)

> I'll try and ask on the gnu mailing list. I even checked the online
> docs at http://www.opengroup.org/online-pubs which gives a slightly more
> complete man page for "comm", and in theory "comm -23 file1 file2" should
> behave as the above diff version. <sigh>

You misread the page (I assume you were looking at the page from the
newly released POSIX.1 (Base Specifications Issue 6).

--
`The classical music makes him feel tranquil and loved so he performs
 regularly. What a life for a guy. He gets to make love every day with

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk