[Gllug] tar.gz

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Fri Feb 1 16:48:19 UTC 2002

On 01 Feb 2002 16:32:54 +0000 John Hearns wrote:

> It is a commercial product, but is free (as in beer)
> for one Linux server and 2 client machines.

I agree that Arkeia is excellent (and free if you have a Linux server with
a single SCSI tape drive), although it was bloody expensive when buying
the license(s) for the software and the tape library that I used to use
with it.

These days I tend to use Amanda, free and not too difficult to get up and
running across a network.  Amanda will support just about anything - and
it works with all manner of tape libraries out of the box (assuming that
generic SCSI support is built into the kernel or is available as a module,
although I beleive this is has to be true for Arkeia tape libraries as
well so that it can pick up the tape changer itself).
Regards,

	Martyn

--
http://www.drake.me.uk