LSB and FHS (was Re: [Gllug] tar.gz)

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Feb 6 03:03:58 UTC 2002

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 10:40:00PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 09:30:12PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> > Why not use GNU stow and the /usr/local / /usr/local/stow trees for
> > this? (Debian even *provides* a /usr/local/stow directory for this
> > purpose!)
>
> Yup, do that.  Stow is a lovely little app and December's Linux Magazine
> (UK version) had a nice little article all about it;)

Hmm.. I've really only found stow useful when helping maintain a bunch of
*non*-linux machines where we had all the useful gnu stuff compiled from
source in there away from the sam- or pkgadd-installed stuff (and nfs'ed too
iirc).  Fortnately for me, I haven't had to install or maintain a non-linux
unix for a while now. :)

Pete

--
Pete Ryland <pdr at pdr.cx>                        XMLDB: http://xmldb.sf.net/
Whether it's the opening of Parliament, or the launch of a new art gallery,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk