[Gllug] [OT] Perl DBI question

Frank frank at fysh.org
Tue Feb 19 11:49:45 UTC 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 05:45:18PM +0000, Chris wrote:

>     >> I would have thought you would have needed DBD::mysql installed
>     >> for it to work with mysql.  That has always been my experience.
>
>     frank> I'd agree.
>
> You do; but there was nothing in the original post to indicate a lack of
> DBD::mysql.  DBD::mysql is a driver for DBI that makes the DBI wrapper
> functions work with mysql's engine - not something that you use instead
> of DBI, or anything like that.  DBI works via DBD::mysql, if you SWIM.
---end quoted text---

Duh..

1) Has the problem been fixed? If not then _perhaps_ it is more
   important to fix this.  Of course if you want to wrangle over petty
   things you're on Void .. go play there.

   a quick check would be to do "perldoc DBD::mysql"

   I don't see any stigma attached to ensuring that it is there, or am I
   missing some important fact?

2) Most of the quote you've attributed to me is not mine. I see no
   reference to the guy who first mentioned DBD. Why not reply to the
   original reply?

   Most of my mail was warning against altering the code and indicating
   why the use of install_driver was valid. Perhaps it could be clearer.

3) The majority of your post is summarising the first few paragraphs of
   "perldoc DBI"; are you practising being Martin Brown?

4) You site Void in your sig-line and yet your mail didn't get sent to
   /dev/null - I've got to alter my procmail filter :(

--
 Frank Booth

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk