[Gllug] TCR tommorrow

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Sat Feb 16 17:44:55 UTC 2002

* George F. Saxby <george at gogointernet.co.uk> spake thus:
> On Friday 15 February 2002 16:26, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   Anyone going ? if so where is the meet point?
> >  I need to pick up a PCMCIA modem/ nic combo and some sound advice
> > would not go amiss this would be over beers naturally <BG>
> >

> > George F. Saxby
> >     Systems Engineer
> >        I.T.S. Team
>
> Hi,
>  the eldest brat is sick so I am on Daddy duty until mother gets off shift
> 18.00 :-{
>
> Have to be next week before I can get this damned laptop connected to the
> world. Although a friend told me that the Xircom can be kicked into my life
> by bringing it up in promiscuouse mode & hard mapping its IP number on the
> network as opposed to DHCP.
>  Anyone care to confirm this?

I've got a Xircom Combo card. It works nice both with dhcp and static
for me. The only problem is that with the kernel built-in drivers for
it. You then have to chose the "yenta_socket" instead of tcic or the
i8325 or whatever the number is. And, there is also a problem with eth0
not being configured on boot/resume from suspend. I solved that by
adding this oneliner to /etc/apm/resume.d/pcmcia:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 arwen && /sbin/route add default gw gil-galad

Stig

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk