[Gllug] Meta keys

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 08:54:23 UTC 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Bruce Richardson spake:
> The meta key ors a key's character code with 0200, apparently, to give

In X, it's just another keysym and associated modifier bit (by
convention Mod1, but can be otherwise).

> you an unsual bunch of characters on some keys.  Emacs uses those
> characters for extra meta functions but if nothing else makes much use of
> them then I'm happy to dump it.

You have no local Emacs users, I suspect, given the criticality of the
meta key in Emacs...

Every interactive program that uses GNU readline can also bind functions
to the meta key (e.g. bash) and many have things bound to it by default;
so too can zsh with its readline replacement.

--
`The classical music makes him feel tranquil and loved so he performs
 regularly. What a life for a guy. He gets to make love every day with

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk