Touchtyping (was Re: [Gllug] bash / go to beginning of line)

Karen Hanna Kruzycka Vixen at lspace.org
Thu Feb 21 11:01:19 UTC 2002

At 10:27 21/02/2002 +0000, Wulf wrote:
>Harry <HJackson at colt-telecom.com> replied:
>
> > I though that touch typing the index finger of the left hand goes on
>the f
> > key and the middle finger of the right hand goes on the j key or is
>this
> > wrong. I think it is a common misconception that the little bumps in
>the f
> > and j keys are for both index fingers.
>
>I'm sure what you're calling common misconception is actually the
>standard practise among typists - otherwise, which index finger do you
>extend to hit the g key? The bumps are there precisely for the purpose
>of helping you locate your fingers on the keyboard without looking.
>
>Are there any typists in the house?

Yep, me - I used to be a secretary. And yes, index fingers go on F and J,
and that's why the bumps're there. They are what I refer to as 'home keys'
- like the 5 on a numeric keypad.

Karen/Vodka Vixen
--
* "2002: A Discworld Odyssey" * August 16th-19th, 2002 *
*  Web: http://www.dwcon.org/ * Email: info at dwcon.org  *

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk