[Gllug] Security

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 17:24:30 UTC 2002

* Tushar Joshi (tjoshi at lonix.org.uk) wrote:

> Was interesting for me at leat, noticing that slackware has the least
> vunerabilities in it out of the Linux distros. Which proves that when an
> installer installs, services shouldn't be setup as default which the
> main distros still seem to do. Amazing to watch the screen of a redhat
> machine boot and watch what it it runs out of the box!

Their numbers count everything installed by default, but they don't
count whether it's enabled or not. So having rshd installed means you
are vulnerable to an rshd exploit, whether a default install runs it for
you or not.

The actual difference you're seeing there is simply that slackware has
less than half the number of packages than any modern distro.

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk