[Gllug] ADSL Hacking.

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Fri Feb 1 11:21:44 UTC 2002

>ps. Was anyone else in West London effected by an ADSL outage yesterday
>(30/01/02) between 2pm and 6pm, supposedly cause by by problems in ATM ?

<checks logs to see>

Eeek! No logs. The machine was in Windows. Thanks for the reminder :-)
Note to self: must move web monitoring cron job to a machine that
doesn't occasionally get rebooted to Windoze (OK, I admit it. But
only because Serious Sam isn't available on Linux yet).

BTW, interesting side note... I'd installed Serious Sam 2 the other day,
and it was running dog slow (over 20 minutes to start the game). Croteam
said that this was a known bug with Voodoo 3 cards, but they couldn't
reproduce it yet. So I figured what the hell, the card's getting on a bit
anyway, so I went out and bought a shiny new Radeon (a decent performing
card, and it doesn't involve giving money to Nvidia). Stick it in the
machine, takes about 2 minutes to reconfigure X to recognise the new
card, and run at my chosen resolution. Reboot into Windows. The drivers
on the CD refuse to install because I hadn't set my display adapter to
plain VGA before putting the new card in. Attempt to do so in safe mode.
Reboot. Reboot again, etc (I'm sure you know the procedure). Drivers still
refuse to install because DirectX 8 isn't installed, and it doesn't install
it for me, despite the fact that it's on the drivers CD. Grab the latest
DirectX from the M$ web site. Install. Reboot. Dead machine. Or rather, a
machine that boots into a black screen. From listening to the disk noises,
I'm guessing that windows is still running, just not displaying anything
on the screen. But nothing I can do can fix that. Safe mode works fine,
but nothing I can change there seems to fix it. Resort to a reinstall,
upgrading from 98 to ME in the process. Install DirectX. Same thing happens
again. Give up and return to Linux.

Now why is it that people keep saying Linux will never make it to the
desktop until end users can add new hardware as easily as they can in
Windows?

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk