[Gllug] Unix Mailbox format / Exchange POP3 connector etc.

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 09:26:27 UTC 2002

* Chris Ball (chris at void.printf.net) wrote:
>     Jake> They keep quoting knowledgebase articles to back up what they
>     Jake> are being told about non rfc2822 complaince etc.
>
> They're Just Plain Wrong if they're saying it's not RFC compliant; as I
> think is mentioned in the jwz.org link, RFCs describe _protocols_ to be
> used when communicating on the net, not local file formats.  One of them
> does touch on mail headers, but that has little to do with what format
> you store mailboxes of said messages in.

I don't think this is about local storage though. Looking at the
original email, they are complaining about the format of the messages
the POP3 servers is sending to the clients. This is totally unlrelated
to the local fileformat - a POP3 server should certainly adhere to
certain protocol specifications when sending mails to a client.

Just because UNIX mbox format uses From .* as a delimeter, doesn't mean
a POP message should contain that line. Note that I can't remember off
the top of my head whether it should or not :)

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk