[Gllug] Help please - with following - non - starting Linux

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Fri Feb 8 17:39:39 UTC 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 05:10:09PM -0000, John Rutter wrote:
> I have Mandrake Linux 2.4.8-2.6Mdk installed as a dual boot with WME by myself.  I have the £56 Mandrake Linux 8.1 boxed set.  It installed no problem until
> one day.  Now at the welcome screen the system freezes with the message:
> "Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to to mount root fs on 03:05"
> If you have any suggestions for getting roungd this problem I would be grateful.  I have tried to reinstall Linux but the existing partition is not recognised.  I have a
> 40 Gb hard disk split in 2 equal partitions.  Athlon 1.3 Ghz 128 Mb RAM
> Thanks.
> John Rutter
>

> --

hmm, root is /dev/hdc5 ? no? (i cant remember)

hmm, does windows still boot?

anyhoo,

insert your mandrake install cd and boot the pc from it, when it says 'press
enter to begin install or whatever' type in 'rescue' it will then boot from the
cdrom, you should have a fair number of good unix tools now to have more of a
look, dont resort to reinstall until you are sure things have dissapeared.

keep posting :-)

bred

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk