[Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy ddrm at digital-science.net
Sun Feb 17 22:32:53 UTC 2002

Here, add some petrol to that fire :)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dan Kolb
> Sent: 17 February 2002 21:45
> To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

Yes, that's an outlook header you know :) This is a Windows 2000 box. I
write software on it. I use gvim. I quite like it, actually. I compile
using cygwin or ming32 or Borland C++ depending on my mood. I don't like
MFC so I use wxWindows2 instead which has the advantage that most of my
stuff runs on GTK too, without too much effort. I'd say a large
proportion of what I use is GPL'ed, even on this "proprietary closed OS
machine" - the only reason I use Outlook for mail is there is, for
Win32, currently, no GUI based mail reader that comes as close to my
needs (although Mahogany is getting there, slowly - and that's GPL'ed
too)....

> Thank you for helping prove my point :-) And shouldn't it be
> GNU/NT now? *fanning the flames*

I agree with this line of thought. Been to sunfreeware.com recently -
how much GNU stuff there?!  HP/UX is how going to ship with
Heli^H^H^H^HXimian Gnome - does this mean we can expect GNU/HP/UX - I
suspect not. Microsoft aren't going to "ship" a GNU version of windows,
but I've certainly turned my version into one (including Afterstep for
Win32 when the mood strikes) so what, I should rebrand my version? Make
a nice auto-installing CD for people like me who want a GNU environment
on Win32 and call it GNU/Windows (ok, so that's a nice idea.... :-P  )
Because my "working tools" are GNU, it doesn't make the name of my OS
change.

I also run "Redhat Linux", that's a product name, I think it may even be
copyrighted, I dunno, and I agree that GNU/Linux is a "good thing" - but
if you make the list "GNU Linux London Users Group" how many "new
(clueless?) people" are going to see that and think "arse, I should look
for the Redhat Linux London Users Group"..... Not the greatest of
points, but one that is still perhaps valid....

Yes, this point has been made by others, and as said elsewhere in the
thread, if you want to make an effort, and make a noise for some
publicity for GNU, I think the effort, and the nose, would benefit
elsewhere....

	-Darran

ps. Perl/Linux - let's NOT go there, ok :) and it's only going to be so
long before you try and put the interpreter into the kernel, admit it!
:)

--
I've got about ten-twenty people I really trust, and quite frankly,
the way people work is hardcoded in our DNA.  Nobody "really trusts"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk