[Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

Nick Hill t0 at nickhill.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 21:53:34 UTC 2002

> You aren't helping your cause.  Melodrama and short emphatic sentences
> and pseudo-profundity are fine, but not over whether to add four
> characters to the group's name or not.
??? I never suggested adding 4 letters to the group's name.

> If you want to fight The Battle
> Of Free Software, do so by writing some, or doing something vaguely
> effectual; not by talking holier-than-thou at those of us who don't
> care.
A few years ago I was consciously treading an apolitical line too. Eventually, I had something put in front of me which I could not ignore. I realised many things being done are not to the common good. You, fortunately, are reaping the rewards of efforts for the common good. I am making efforts. Please don't throw cold water on those efforts.

> Many of us aren't using Linux because it makes us into wonderfully
> socially responsible people; we're using Linux because it's _good_ and
> it lets us do things.  We've heard RMS talk on the subject many times
> and for many years, and his GNU/Linux idea doesn't mean much to us.

Without the philosophy, GNU/Linux would not exist. Without Richard stallman, the philosophy probably wouldn't exist. Without copyleft, Linux will probably be proprietary and not be as practical as you would like. You are reaping th practical rewards of the GNU philosophy. Please support it.

> Yes, many UNIX systems use GNU tools.  So, the difference between these
> systems is often the kernel.  Why not call them by the part that's
> different, then?  Should my desktop machine become a GNU/FreeBSD machine
> because I run gdb, gcc and emacs on it, or shall we just stick to the
> _meaningful_ differences between Unices?

I have not made this point to create a new practical system of software naming convention. You have missed the point.

Regards

Nick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk