[Gllug] GLLUG ->Gnu Linux London Users Group

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Feb 18 12:21:40 UTC 2002

[Oh, I may as well have a go; not that I want to change the name of
GLLUG.]

On Sunday, 17 Feb 2002, Dan Kolb wrote:
>Rabid fanaticism about a subject often has the reverse effect you intended. A
>lot of people have been turned off GNU because of RMS' fanaticism about GNU.
>I, for example, will not use Debian GNU/Linux on my i386-type PCs precisely
>for that reason.

So, because of rabid fanaticism not tied to a technical justification,
you have taken a political decision not tied to a technical
justification? Funny, that.

>t3h 31337 l1nuX d1str0!". I have had someone saying (not on this list) that I
>shouldn't use Slackware (my distro of choice) because 'the package manager is
>shit, so you should use Debian'. That sort of fanaticism put me off
>using it,

That's not fanaticism; that's an (admittedly undiplomatically
expressed) technical opinion. Slackware's package management _is_ a
weak spot.

"Slackware do not adequately distinguish free and non-free software,
so you should use Debian"; that's a political opinion.

>Without RMS, the philosophy as *he* has it wouldn't exist. That's not to say
>that there wouldn't be any free software. The *BSDs are quite happily free
>without GNU/GPL.

Really? I wonder which C compiler they use...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk