[Gllug] Re: Anarchy (was Geforce2)

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 21:45:36 UTC 2002

On Friday 01 February 2002 13:06, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > Without elected government, even a crap one, we'd have companies in
> > charge. I
>
> not necessarily.  there are alternatives to government, that people dont
> normally consider.  imagine small communities of people working together
> at a local level to achieve goals.  they dont need a central authorative
> body to dish out instructions and rules.  if people were empowered they
> could achieve endless number of goals, but we're not.

Sorry, I thought I had deleted that one without sending it (after having
second thoughts!), but by the time I sent some entirely different message
three days later, the damn thing was actually hiding in the queue! Oh well.

However, much as I actually love the idea of self-sufficient solar-powered
villages and communities growing their own food, recycling their own waste,
eating beans and generally living like Tom and Barbara in The Good Life,
there's much to be said about publicly owned, funded and maintained
infrastructures. There's not a lot Tom could do if Barbara fell over with a
heart attack or needed cancer therapy, for instance, without large(r!)
investment in public health. You can trundle about on Roman roads in your
horse drawn buggy if you like, but I prefer publicly funded public transport
(no, I don't own a car!). Unfortunately, to have national large scale
infrastructures like this, you need huge sums of cash, which can
realistically only come from either some form of tax or the private sector.
The Romans built their roads with public taxes too!

On a related tangent, there's some pretty cool high speed mass transport
ideas at http://faculty.washington.edu/jbs/itrans/

Anyway, on a more Linux related thing, I was wondering if anyone has any
ideas about flatscreen monitors, specifically how people rate them, how
cheaply they got/saw them, whether they thought the reduction in desk space,
lower power consumption, LTGE, etc. was worth the trade-off, etc. However, I
may have to post that separately as hardly anyone will be reading this well
worn, meandering and circuitous thread anymore!  ;o)

luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker
Web: www.jonathanharker.co.uk