[Gllug] Re: Anarchy (was Geforce2)

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Feb 1 13:06:22 UTC 2002

Jonathan Harker(jon at jonathanharker.co.uk)@Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:59:42PM +0000:
> On Monday 28 January 2002 19:04, William Palfreman wrote:
> > These elected people don't do a single thing for me, or at
> > least not a single thing that I wouldn't rather sort out for myself on my
> > terms.  Even if I did get something out of it it is still a useless
> > burden of a way to live.
> <snip>
>
> Right.
>
> So you are going to shrug off the roads, trains, airports, landfills,
> sanitisation, sewerage, hospitals, health care, schooling of your children,
> policing, etc. ad infinitum as a burden? I suppose they're crap anyway,
> right? I am dying to know how you're going to sort all that out by yourself.

and what else did the romans ever do for us?

> Without elected government, even a crap one, we'd have companies in charge. I

not necessarily.  there are alternatives to government, that people dont
normally consider.  imagine small communities of people working together
at a local level to achieve goals.  they dont need a central authorative
body to dish out instructions and rules.  if people were empowered they
could achieve endless number of goals, but we're not.

> know which I'd rather have. At least a crap government can be voted out next
> time round. I won't even mention the millions of people last century who died
> to preserve your right to vote. Oops...

a fair point about how our lifestyle has been presereved, but maybe now
we should consider ways to improve the world.  instead of maintaining
the status quo that has arrisen in world economic system since WWII.

and no, voting the government out makes little difference, unless it's
replaced by something that is willing to think different, and challenge
traditional methods.  when the government changes, it's meerly a colour
thats been altered, blue to red.

alas i fear, that people will only vote for those the think have a
chance, and of those choices they dont appear to be too happy.  but
there is no other viable alternative.

> Nobody said democracy was perfect (well maybe some do), but in the face of
> the alternatives, it's perhaps the best compromise we've come up with so far.

possibly, but maye we need to evolve, and find something better.
something fairer to all.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Giving everyone and equal opportunity, when they're clearly not equal,
 is called what children?
 Communism!
 -- Edna Krabappel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk