[Gllug] bash / go to beginning of line

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 22:54:31 UTC 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Stig Brautaset spake:
> * David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> spake thus:
>> Thirdly, the hjkl keys are more efficient once you are used to them,
>> since they don't require as much movement of the hands across the
>> keyboard.
>
> Thus speaks the qwerty-user! Yep guys, it's time for a new flamefest;
> this time, the topic is "keyboard layouts".

Ah, a keyboard DSW. `Whose has the most keys' :)

>                                             I personally prefer Dvorak
> (the two-handed version). Is there someone else out there that use
> something else than qwerty, and Dvorak in particular?  (I'm pretty sure
> Nix doesn't, because he use emacs.

I'll soon have a keyboard that supports Dvorak, and I'm getting the
dual-legended version so I can learn the layout.

>                                    It is positively impossible to use
> emacs default[1] key bindings with Dvorak without breaking ones'
> fingers).

I dunno about that; Emacs's bindings were chosen mainly for mnemonic
effect, rather than typeability...

> [1] -- not suggesting that you use the default key bindings Nix, but
> surely you haven't remapped them *all*?

I may well rebind major key sequences like C-x and C-c in Dvorak mode.

But, no, I haven't remapped them all. Only about fifty. :)

(See the `key-translation-alist' and `gawd-key-bind-alist' in
<http://www.esperi.demon.co.uk/nix/xemacs/site-wide/gawd-keys.html>, and
the additions to the latter in
<http://www.esperi.demon.co.uk/nix/xemacs/personal/.emacs.html>.)

--
`The classical music makes him feel tranquil and loved so he performs
 regularly. What a life for a guy. He gets to make love every day with

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk