[Gllug] IPSec

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 20:45:11 UTC 2002

Simon Stewart wrote:

> > >UDP is connectionless!
> >
> > Oh yeah <hides>
>
> But some firewall products claim to do "stateful" UDP (IPFilter
> springs to mind) if memory serves.

Basically when a UDP packet goes out on an authorised connection, a
tunnel in the opposite direction is opened for a limited period of time
to allow the response back. Rather crude and theoretically possible to
exploit but it seems unlikely. I would definitely recommend using a
nameserver without any known vulnerabilities even for just sending
queries to the Internet.

We have Checkpoint Firewall-1 at work and this certainly appears to
work, my nameservers can make queries out but queries cannot be sent in
to them.

DNS will work over NAT too, that can give some protection.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk