[Gllug] Multiple logins with NIS/YP

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Feb 13 11:11:06 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, 12 Feb 2002, Dylan Brewis wrote:
>>If you mount home directories via NFS you could do something evil with
>>user's login scripts and a lockfile in their home directory, but I
>>would not advise that.
>er... why not, and how would I do it anyway?

A user's login script could produce a lock with the name of the client
logged-in from, and set up a process that (say) touches this file
every minute (we can't just remove it on logout, because sessions may
end abruptly - at that, clients will need to check for these processes
existing but not belonging to apparently extant login session). The
NFS server removes any of these files that go untouched for 5
minutes. If the login script finds the file contains the name of
another client, it logs the user right back out again.

I wouldn't do this because it's a horrible convoluted hack that will
be prone to going wrong and locking people out completely.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk