[Gllug] ADSL Hacking.

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 00:54:24 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 11:53, Stephen Harker wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2002 09:51, you wrote:
> > Ok, after time, and effort - the stingray/showerhead sucks.
> >
> > 	-Cheers, Darran
> What? So you hacked the BT Openworld Black Box? What does it run.
> I've got the exact same thing here at work. 5 static ip's and all.

It's an Efficient Networks 5800 series router. SNMP. firewalling, NAT,
pretty much the works. Quite nice boxes actually. There are two ways to
hack them. You can attach a console, hit the "reset" pin on the back,
and then you have a 10 minute window to log in as admin with the router
serial number as the password, at which stage you can change the admin
pw to whatever you like. Alternatively, you can tftp boot it off a
kernel image on a network server.

The second way is better, as you can save its existing config, and
replace it if BT ever come calling. The first method loses the BT admin
password for all time.....

There's a 2.5 Mb PDF on their website for the interested....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk