[Gllug] Geforce2

E. R. Vaughan e.vaughan at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 23 02:44:34 UTC 2002

Using 2.4.17, Athlon 1000(133), KT7A, X 4.1 (Slack 8.0), and the latest
detonator drivers I have had no lockups at all, frame rate seems better than
in Windoze although I haven't done a scientific study, mouse seems smoother.
Although I have to say I'm running w/o sound (don't have card in the box,
will do soon, I'll report back...)

I think NVidia are real assholes for not releasing source code or specs, but
I think it is just a manoevre (sp? I'm had a few.. :), they are just flexing
their muscles. They are not too stupid to see that this damages them I
think. Linux people are buying Matrox and other cards because of it. But
IMvvHO the NVidia cards are better than the Matrox ones, I think Matrox got
ahead at one point about 5 years ago just before 3dfx came on the scene but
IMO they have been trailing since. My Geforce usually sits in my 'doze box
as it is doing now. Why am I using a toy operating system, I don't know, it
has something to do with British Telecom and USB stringrays, but my memory
fails me...

Anyway good luck with your card. Remember to get latest detonator drivers.
Closed source sucks but I am sure they will open up before long.

Emil