[Gllug] UK2 (positive ADVERT!)

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Wed Jan 16 19:41:24 UTC 2002

Hi,

(ADVERT WARNING!)

I don't normally advertise on the list but this is too good an
opportunity to miss :)

We're just launching a new server product (we're calling it a Dolphin
server), a little more expensive than UK2, but a lot better ;-)

I won't go into a whole spiel on list, but suffice to say these are
decent hardware spec (2 IDE drives, one for backup), 800MHZ pentiums
(actually 1Ghz but I didn't tell you that), running Debian ("unstable"
distribution, but tested and we find it stable!) with qmail, qmailadmin,
vpopmail etc. and web front ends for e-mail (sqwebmail etc.) and webmin
for those that like that kind of point and click administration. We've
kept the configuration quite clean and the apt-get stuff all works
nicely for updates etc. Root ssh access to the shell of course if you
want/need it (I'm sure you will)

Lots of bandwidth, great network, loads of great support etc ;-).

At least check us out anyway when you do your comparisons, let me know
if you want more of the gritty details. The servers will be ready from
this monday, info on our web site any day now.

Did you know btw UK2 manage to get about 70 servers in a standard rack,
all powered in serial (it looks like to me anyway) using both sides of
the rack...must be hot in there! Our cases are a little bigger, so I
imagine the cooling is a little better.

Also, UK2 made you pay for 3 years in advance last time I
checked...check the small print of those guys carefully, oh and give
them a phone call and have a chat about it if you can... ;-)

Oh, our Dolphin servers have remote power switches too so you can even
remotely log into your own power socket and power cycle your machine
(should you ever have to do that for some odd reason)

OK, enough advertising!

Cheers,

Jake.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk