[Gllug] OT - NTL issues and ADSL providers

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 23:53:17 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 08:33:30AM +0000, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >I have no confidence that there would be any resolution to this situation,
> >so I would appreciate any pointers towards a non-BT consumer ADSL service
> >(preferably cheaper?)
>
> You can get ADSL from virtually any ISP. Ultimately, it's all controlled
> by BT, but they seem to have done a good job of convincing people that
> if you have ADSL, you have to use BT's ISP service, which you don't. I
> use Freedom 2 Surf (www.f2s.net), and have had been very happy with the
> service. It's only gone down 3 times in the last year, and each time
> has been due to the Alcatel router getting confused (and needing power
> cycling), rather than due to a fault with the line or the service itself.
>
> ObDisclaimer: f2s are run by a friend of mine

Which means that they might be sensible ...
One thing that I have not been able to find an adsl provider do is to
do reverse IP address mapping. I want the forward/backward DNS entries to
match - oh, I have my own domain, so I don't want something like foo-bar.f2s.net.

Will f2s do that -- or, being friends of yours, can you pursuade them that
obeying the RFCS is something that they ought to do.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk