[Gllug] Talk by Richard Stallman in London, 12 Feb

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Jan 27 17:04:36 UTC 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:16:50PM +0000, Nick Mailer wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 17:14, Timothy Coggins wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 16:24, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> >
> > > eventually settled. Actually he [RMS] got himself sufficiently worked up to
> > > endorse piracy of software in no uncertain terms. Considering the audience I
> >
> > That's a bit of a bombshell. RMS has no respect for the copyright laws
> > that he says keeps his software free (most of us would say open).
> > Anyway.. I'm off to re-badge and sell binaries of gcc under the name
> > tc-cc:)
> >

> RMS is very easy to parody. Fortunately, I was with a friend who sat
> with him for a three hour interview for a Linux (sorry - GNU/Linux ;-)
> magazine. This gives you a deeper view of the basis of his philosophy.
> Firstly, he would never use the term "piracy", as you have in that
> propaganda phrase certain implicit axioms which make rational discussion
> about information sharing across a community virtually impossible - the
> moment you call aspects of the Intellectual Property propaganda
> hierarchy into question, you are equated with someone who rapes,
> pillages and plank-walks their way across the oceans!
>
> RMS is irrascible, he is unreasonable, he is extreme and he doesn't
> realise the totality of conflicting human motivation. But he is also a
> genius and - yes - a prophet who has put his money where his mouth is.
> He hasn't just talked the talk - he walked the walk, and it is thanks to
> him in no small part that we have what we have today. This is what we
> mean by respect. Calling him a prophet holds me open to some ridicule,
> I'm sure. I do not mean a literal biblical prophet; I am an atheist.
> What I mean is that he fulfills the necessary conditions of being in a
> very similar position to the biblical prophets like Jeremiah: He is
> intelligent, out of synch with many of his society's norms, he is highly
> critical of many aspects of the community in which he finds himself and
> is generally seen as a crank or even dangerous for his apparently
> ludicrous proclimations. Twenty years later, he is vindicated.
>
> RMS does deserve respect. Even in these post-modern, cynical, even
> nihilistic times, there are certain individuals whose very passion and
> idealism deserve some sort of recognition, at least as representing that
> one aspect of the human character that consumerism is usually so good at
> crushing, only to leak out in the less than benign fanaticism that leads
> people to fly aeroplanes into buildings. Thank heavens there are some
> people who use their passion to more constructive ends.

Thanks for this very carefully written piece ...

I agree (though from a less well informed viewpoint)

RMS also stikes me as a prophet, as in a way does Bill Gates - both men
have shown remarkable foresight as well as  an understanding of both technolgy
and  society that is truly extraordinary.

of course, they have used thier abilities in very different ways ...

personally I love RMS for his outspokenness (though I don't care for
everything he says)

I would be interested in meeting up with people for this talk, does
everyone going so far know each other or is there likely to be a gllug
meetup prior to or after the talk ?

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk