[Gllug] Talk by Richard Stallman in London, 12 Feb

Nick Mailer nickm at positive-internet.com
Mon Jan 28 01:59:31 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 17:04, gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote:

> Thanks for this very carefully written piece ...
>
> I agree (though from a less well informed viewpoint)
>
> RMS also stikes me as a prophet, as in a way does Bill Gates - both men
> have shown remarkable foresight as well as  an understanding of both technolgy
> and  society that is truly extraordinary.
>
> of course, they have used thier abilities in very different ways ...
>
> personally I love RMS for his outspokenness (though I don't care for
> everything he says)

So do I! Which is not to say I haven't been at the wrong end of his strident opinion :-)
See  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/18146.html ;-)

It is rare to find someone with intellectual and philosophical passion.
We live in the mire of the compromise, the third way, the "End of
History". To find people still moved to intensity by ideas is
inspirational, even if you do not agree in all the substantive detail.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk