[Gllug] Geforce2

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Jan 23 15:08:35 UTC 2002

David Damerell(damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk)@Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:53:13PM +0000:
> On Wednesday, 23 Jan 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> >>Nonsense. What happens out on the SCSI chain or on the network is
> >>specified by standards, but for that matter what happens in the
> >>monitor cable is too. The interface your computer sees varies very
> >>much from card to card.
> >yeah, but you dont see any proprietry super fast additions to the
> >ethernet or SCSI interfaces.
>
> For that matter, it is years since anyone has had a non-standard
> extension to what happens between graphics card and monitor. What's
> your point?

theres far more scope for making a better faster GFX card, than for a
SCSI or NIC.

> >>Yes, but no-one is proposing we do that. Changing the behaviour of
> >>graphics card manufacturers? Won't be the first time.
> >yep, but only when it's a sizeable percentage that gets the attention of
> >those within a company that actually make decisions based upon
> >quantifiable values.
>
> And we know, from our experience with Diamond, that the Linux
> community was large enough several years ago. So what's your point?

and what happened to diamond?  did the opening up help the company succeed
in the long term?  no, they vanished.  i dont see why theres an
incentive for this dominant player to follow the great leap that diamond
made.

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 We're not any better; we've got our own set of nonstandardisms.
 Just not those ones.
 -- tom lane

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk