[Gllug] Geforce2

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 15:22:08 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, 23 Jan 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
>David Damerell(damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk)@Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:53:13PM +0000:
>>On Wednesday, 23 Jan 2002, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
>>For that matter, it is years since anyone has had a non-standard
>>extension to what happens between graphics card and monitor. What's
>>your point?
>theres far more scope for making a better faster GFX card, than for a
>SCSI or NIC.

Also not true. Bus speeds have increased from ISA to PCI to PCI-64 to
whatever's next; SCSI speeds have increased from 5Mb/s to 160Mb/s;
networks have gone from 10Mbps to 1Gbps. In all cases, the guts of the
card that achieve that result have been quite specific to the chipset
manufacturer.

>>And we know, from our experience with Diamond, that the Linux
>>community was large enough several years ago. So what's your point?
>and what happened to diamond?  did the opening up help the company succeed
>in the long term?  no, they vanished.

Years after making this change. I don't think you can show any causal
relationship between the opening up and the subsequent death.

Also, we don't necessarily need to make Nvidia open things up; all
I've been saying is that we can keep the other players going (along
with their other sources of income, like Matrox and the corporate
market) and competitive, just as the similar sized Mac community keeps
Apple making new hardware for them.

But, of course, we can only do that if enough of us don't just buy
Nvidia cards because proprietary solutions are easier in the short run.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk