OT: Prolly (was Re: [Gllug] gearboxes (was Geforce2))

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Jan 25 12:29:56 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:50:31AM -0000, Paul Brazier wrote:
> On a slightly related but also OT note where does the abbreviation
> "prolly" for "probably" come from?
> I've only ever seen it used in computer contexts and it doesn't really
> save you much letters.

Interesting..  IRL, I say "prolly" (just like the English and Yanks leave
out a syllable from the word "interesting" that I would leave in - not that
either way is wrong or anything) and I've been spelling it as such online
for many years (since about 1993 I guess).  I prolly nabbed the spelling
from some other intoxicated speaker, but either way, the spelling has been
around for at least those eight or nine years.

Other spellings (and pronunciations) include fitty and hungy, obviously
referring to large demonination currency notes. :)

More common are kinda, sorta, etc.

Since coming to London, I've had to adjust my speech to be able to be
understood and try not to use slang online any more since it kinda looks a
bit unprofessional I reckon. :)

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk