[Gllug] Faqs.org under threat

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 11:42:55 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 3 Jan 2002, Kieran wrote:
>The real "omega threat" would be sourceforge, of course.  Could you
>imagine the bandwidth bill that place has?  And could you imagine
>as situation where 30,000 projects all found themselves needing new web
>sites, ftp and anonymous cvs arrangements?
>A darwinist might suggest that this would be a good thing:

I can think of other reasons; sourceforge itself is not run with free
software anymore, which is absurd - especially since the free software
tools to do its job are perfectly good.

I think it might be better to have a set of good free tools that
developers can use in their own Web space, and a canonical directory
of free projects. Sourceforge was largely a result of the absurd
valuation of VA Linux.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk