[Gllug] Greenhouse emissions (was Geforce2)

Richard Hillesley richard at linuxuser.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 00:57:13 UTC 2002

> Lets not stray away from the fact that laws have to change and this was my
> point, these changes in law will be executed by the most suitable method in
> times of great need and these do not always wait on "legal process". Who is
> to say that in all circumstances the GC is correct and that in 1949 and
> later in 1977 the people where correct in what they wrote. Its been 24
> years since the last major change and maybe it needs to change again. These
> things need to be as fluid as society in order not to become outdated and
> antiquated. When atrocities are taking place we do not have time to chew
> the cud its action that's required not fancy words and high ideals. In
> times of peace we can talk as much as we want and play at high and mighty
> but it does not stop it happening again.

Sorry, I don't agree with any of this (Especially on a Linux mailing list).
The Geneva Covention is good enough for America's enemies.
(Note the war crime tribunals in Holland at the moment), and should
be good enough for America too.

International Law is meaningless if the only nation it doesn't apply to
is the world's only superpower.

The change required in the law is that it applies to every nation. There are
too many abuses as it is, especially when the nation that claims to be the
moral arbiter sanctions those abuses.

To pretend that it doesn't apply because the most public attack took place in
America is no justification. The Israelis (led by Sharon) and their Lebanese
allies killed many more in the massacres in the palestinian refugee camps, but
we are told they are right because they are better financed and the west is
"on their side". (and dare I say it, the Palestinians are only Arabs)

Amnesty International can be found at http://www.amnesty.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk