[Gllug] Working with Linux

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Jan 7 17:44:47 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:40:35PM +0000, David Damerell wrote:
> >http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/SillySounds/
>
> I think everyone's heard that, haven't they?
>
> Linus's pronunciation of it (then) is certainly not 'Linnux', it's
> more like 'Leenoox'. So that's one, but hard to do if you're not
> Scandinavian.
>
> 'Linnux' I think is meant to be an approximation to 'Leenoox' for
> English speakers. That's two.
>
> 'Lienux' stems from the fact that while the name 'Linus' is pronounced
> 'Leenoos' in Finland, it's pronounced 'Lienus' in English-speaking
> countries - and, indeed, that sound does make it clear that it's meant
> to be a derivative of his name.
>
> So, no, that sound doesn't answer the question - unless the answer is
> that any of 'Leenoox', 'Linnux' and 'Lienux' is OK.

Funny, some time ago, I'd seen it written many times before I'd ever heard
it pronounced, and when I did first hear it pronounced the pronouncer (?)
said it a different way to what I thought it was, so I found in the
documentation somewhere that it said "Linux is pronounced just like Linus
but with an x" or something to that effect, so I thought I was on track
until I heard that file.

Not intending to troll, but people have been known to waste significant
amounts of time before with pronounciations wars over many words like SQL,
cache[1], or NASA, or ...

Not worth having an argument over, but yeah, it is funny when agents get it
"wrong".

My favourite agent quotes so far:

"I've got you down as knowing 'Linux', but what's G N U mean?"
"I see you have quite extensive EJB experience ...  Do you have any
commercial Java experience?"

Pete

[1] As an aside, I still haven't found a dictionary that lists the
pronounciation that Everyone Else seems to use (i.e. kaysh as opposed to
kash). :)